I made a vegan cheesecake and it was perfect.
I baked it for our Christmas celebration, which traditionally happens a few weeks after Christmas since Ryan and I are procrastinators when it comes to buying gifts and usually spend Christmas apart (with our families) anyway.
While I’m not going vegan, we are both trying to eat more ethically, so you’ll probably see a lot more vegan recipes on the blog.
If you’re reluctant to try this vegan cheesecake recipe, don’t be. It is so good and easy to make. Basically, you put all of the ingredients into a food processor and pour it into a pre-made pie crust (the Keebler ones are vegan).
I’ll admit, when I tasted the batter, I was reluctant and thought it tasted like pureed tofu with sugar. But I followed through with it. Something happens when you put it in the oven, all of the ingredients and flavors blend together magically and you’re left with a very cheesecake-like product. We devoured it.
This recipe is adapted from here. You’ll need a pre-baked pie crust, cashews, vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, tofu, vanilla extract, lemon juice, vegan sugar and maple syrup.
First, soak 1 cup of cashews for a few hours, or overnight. If you have a powerful food processor, an hour or two soak will work just fine.
After you’re done soaking your cashews, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Drain the cashews and throw them into the food processor with the vegan sour cream, cream cheese, tofu, vanilla lemon juice, maple syrup and sugar.
Puree until everything is smooth and well combined.
Then pour it into your pre-made pie crust.
And smooth out the top.
Place in the oven for for 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 250 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Once it’s done baking, place it in the fridge for a few hours to let it firm up. This part is pretty important. There was a noticeable difference in the cake’s texture when we ate it only a few hours after baking versus eating it the next morning (for breakfast). I recommend letting it set overnight.
the best vegan cheesecake
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust (the Keebler ones are vegan)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 4 oz. (1/4 block) of firm tofu
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ⅔ cup vegan sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Soak the cashews in water for 1 - 2 hours.
- Once the cashews are done soaking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the cashews
- Add the cashews, tofu, cream cheese, sour cream, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice to a food processor.
- Puree all of the ingredients until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the pre-made pie crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Lower the oven temperature to 250 degree and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.