I got a slow cooker for Christmas and wanted to give it a go. This pineapple chili and it was a hit with the non-vegetarian crowd.
1 1/2 cups dry red beans
1 1/2 cups dry black beans
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
4 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp hot sauce
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
1 small can crushed pineapple
1. In a colander, rinse your beans and pick out any debris, broken beans, or beans without skins.
2. Boil the red beans first. red beans contain a toxin that isn’t destroyed in a slow cooker. Boil your red beans for 10 minutes before putting them in a cooker.
3. After you’ve prepped your beans, add them to the slow cooker with two teaspoons of salt.
4. Cover the beans with water. Make sure there are two inches of water covering the beans. Turn your slow cooker on high and let it cook for four hours. Stir every hour.
5. After four hours, the beans should be softening. Add the cumin, chili powder, cayenne, red pepper, chili powder, hot sauce, and tomatoes.
6. Turn your slow cooker on Low.
7. Prep your other ingredients. Chop your onion, red pepper, and green pepper. Heat some oil in a cast iron skillet and sauté the ingredients with the garlic until they’re tender. Add to slow cooker.
8. Cook on low for another two hours.
9. Before you serve, pour in the can of crushed pineapple. Garnish with sour cream and cheddar.