I’m a southern lady and we believe in two things: sweet tea and frying. We even fry healthy things like zucchini. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day I made zucchini fritters. Not because they pertain to the holiday in any way, they’re just green.
You will need:
4 Tbs olive oil
1 lg. zucchini
1 lg. egg
3/4 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
1 green onion
salt & pepper
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Repeat after me: “I will not use more than 4 tablespoons of oil.” There’s no need.
2. While the oil is warming, use a food processor or cheese grater and grate the zucchini.
3. Chop the green onion
4. Beat the egg
5. Combine the zucchini, egg, bread crumbs, green onion, and spices (to taste) in a large bowl.
6. Using your hands, five small patties from the mixture. Mine were about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
7. Place patties in the oil. My skillet comfortably fit about two at a time. Cook them on each side for about five minutes or until golden brown. Use medium heat. I’ve tried doing this with high heat oil and they fall apart.
I hope you enjoy!