Lately it’s been a balmy 80 degrees in Florida. And on some slow and sunny Saturdays the boyfriend and I make a savory southern supper.
He grills portabello mushroom steaks topped with fontina.
And I make a southern-style potato salad.
He wouldn’t share the secrets to the portabello steaks, which is a shame, since they’re delicious.
I’ve only made potato salad twice, and haven’t followed any specific recipe. I just throw things together. It’s so easy and southern.
Southern-Style Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 – 6 medium sized red potatoes
- 3 eggs
- four stalks of celery
- 1/4 cup of sweet pickles
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons of mustard (use high quality mustard with the seeds in it)
- Chop potatoes into quarter-sized chunks and boil them for 10 – 12 minutes, or until soft.
- In a separate pot, bring the eggs to a hard boil.
- Dice the celery and pickles.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise with the mustard. You can use less mayonnaise if you want. I’m not Paula Dean.
- When potatoes are finished drain them and place in a large mixing bowl.
- When the eggs are hard boiled, peel them and chop them.
- Combine all of your ingredients into the large mixing bowl with the potatoes.
It’s very simple and yummy. Enjoy with an IPA or sweet tea!
I promise this will be the last of the food posts this week.